Friday, October 7, 2011

that awesome!

and i'll tell ya why, because i rocked one of my assignments this week.

so to start, this week my communications class had to give a 90 second speech from a section of our book. i properly stressed, but not overly, over this. you all know me as a talker, my impromptu speech was close to 3 minutes. well, i scraped many ideas and finally came up with one that would keep me within my time frame. my topic.... gaining and maintaining the attention of your audience, piece of cake for a mom of three right? i practiced most every night, a few times in front of my kids, and timed it. i was never consistently over or under and that was driving me crazy. well today was my speech and i had some butterflies. i even got up EARLY (not really by choice) so i could make myself pretty for the presentation. it confused erica greatly to see me in a dress and not be a sunday. anyways, i made my kids listen to my speech again, a few times actually, and then sent them off to school. out of 8 i was number 7.... and my anxiety level for not screwing this up was sky high. I KICKED BUTT! well, that is, i went for 89 seconds. that pretty much guarantees me an a, but my outline may dock me a few points. i was having a hard time with that part.

moving on. in my writing class we have our new assignment.... write about a 'visual text'. i had so many ideas this morning, i think that's why i was up at 5:30 wide awake! i'm going to write about the sculpture 'david', but all three. the professor seemed genuinely interested, especially when she guessed what i was going to write about. to top it all off, class was canceled today. so while i should have been in class i was eating lunch with a very good friend that i haven't been able to hang with much this year.

on to a sadder subject, my history class. thursday i had my first exam. i did study and i took it very seriously. but my problem was this: i focused on the beginnings when i should have just focused on the last bits that we learned, namely the American Revolution and the Civil War. the professor said "it could be on anything we have talked about in class and in discussion...." so that left the subjects wide open. out of four questions, i probably got at least half points on the first, full points on the next two, and partial (but more than half i think and hope) on the last. i know, doesn't sound too promising. but i think i got some kudos for finding the location where a picture was taken in 1912 at jmu.

my psych class is almost done. one more lecture and then the final. i promise i'll do better on that one. class on monday was a movie "the story of us" with burce willis (back when he had hair) and michelle pfeiffer. our most recent topic was on conflict, that movie covers it all! and very entertaining.

so a good week. i'm glad it's over and i am looking forward to doing just about nothing this weekend. though, thanks to my mother-in-law, now i am the go-to girl for yummy dip and have been asked to make it for a post-baby shower. all good, it's quick and easy. maybe with my next post i'll actually have pictures of my kids

2 comments:

alyssa said...

you go girl! i think it's impressive for anyone to explain something under 90 sec.

Scott and Katy Adams said...

Hang in there honey girl!