Tuesday, September 27, 2011

what week is it?

so, i tell people that school is "fantastically kicking my butt" because i am just loving it. i don't have "friends" on campus (not counting the two professors i go to church with) so i spend a lot of time in the freezing cold library getting my readings done and other school work. you would think that i would bring a jacket or dress better knowing i would be in the library turning into a popsicle, but it's hot enough during the day that walking across campus produces a sweat... not so sweet.

so my communications class is great. we had to do an impromptu speech on friday, which was oh so fun. my reaction to the list of topics when it was my turn was "really, you should keep the 32 year old mother of three in mind when you make the list next time". almost every topic was geared for the young college people that basically live on campus. well, the speech being impromptu meant there was no time limit.... mine was 2 min 48 sec (the average time was a LOT less). what can i say, i'm a talker. our next assignment is a 90 second speech, hardest! thing! ever!!! i am practicing so i don't go over.

my writing class is a little better. the professor brought chocolate one day just cause it was a rainy day (it was dove dark!). we have been working on our first paper, a rhetorical piece, for the past two weeks... or, at least i have. i was under the impression for a week that the first draft was due on the 18th, it wasn't due until the 25th. so i got my paper done by this past friday and properly stressed over my citations and making sure i was not plagiarizing (so many rules!). i had a writing conference with my professor today and she said that it was very well written but i needed a little more "meat" in my thesis. she pointed me in the right direction and now i am properly procrastinating to write this blog update.

had my midterm for my psych class.... i won't go into details, but i didn't do so hot. i went in with the attitude of "i'm living this and it's mostly common sense". yeah, my c+ in the class says otherwise. only a few more classes and i'm done with it. it's a fantastic class, but i won't miss it. too many insights into my life that i wasn't really ready to face.

history! oh my goodness, do i love this class! and that says a lot since i never liked any of my history classes before. my professor is freakin awesome and loves to have fun in class. lots of notes to take and everyone is freaking out over our first test next week, but that's expected. i rocked the 'map of the u.s.' quiz two weeks ago (mucho bonus points for naming the canadian provinces). today, though, we had a map quiz again (apparently we'll keep having them until everyone gets a 100), but this time it included mexico.... 30 states in mexico and i couldn't name one. time to get another atlas...

No comments: