Saturday, September 1, 2012

jmu, i've missed you!

my first week of school is over! and what a week it was. i was mildly panicked at the thought of having to be super early to east campus (the newer section) in order to get a parking space. a friend of mine said that the commuter lots fill up by 8:15, which would be the time i would leave my house. ACK! and UGH! terrified i was! well my mom helped out by being early to pick up sofia, so i took off about 8:05 and used my lead foot to help. turns out i didn't need it. i got to the commuter lot and saw LOTS of parking spaces left. my friend was wrong! but i was sure to keep in mind that the first day, even week, could be a fluke.

my first class is GSCI 101... general science, but the theme is robotics. not sure how this will turn out, but i'm willing to try. found my class with enough time left to read a little. the class is kind of big, but i take that as a good sign that i wouldn't be called on to answer anything. please remember, my last science class that was remotely close to this one was back in '96. well, the first class went well and i actually understood some of what was talked about. the second class (on wednesday) was good too..... once i got to the right room. YES! i did it AGAIN! went to the wrong class. to be fair, it was the right classroom, i just missed the email that stated that my class was to meet somewhere new. i caught on when a different professor showed up. after a minute or two i looked to the person behind me and asked "is this g-sci 101?" NOPE! i grabbed my bag, gave the class and professor a good chuckle and found out where my class was meeting. don't get me wrong, i was embarrassed and i know my face was red.... but really, i'm too old to let that bother me too much. i wound up only missing the first five minutes of my class. friday's class was a shock to me, i actually understood it. we talked about velocity and position and magnitude... but i understood! well, after someone else gave and answer and then the professor explained what the answer was right or wrong. still, though... a break through for me to understand when i'm not that science minded.

friday was the day for my science lab. that was more scarey to me than anything else because we are going to be building robots! i don't know if i can do that. well, i made a friend in the lecture class and we both decided to brave the lab together, we are lab partners. our first task was just to test the voltage of our power supply (that's all we had time for after the explanations of things). we got our supplies, hooked everything up, and tested. we needed 5 volts and we got 5 volts. success! now, if the rest of the labs will be this easy i'll be good.

i'm taking photography this semester, which is my next class. it's a 2.5 hour class and i'm intimidated. i took a photography class before, but it was independent study.... not a way to learn how to use a camera. the professor assures us that by midterm everything will be second nature and we won't have to think about anything. i sure hope so. we haven't gotten our first assignment, but when we do it will be at least two rolls worth of pictures. did i mention it's a traditional film photography class? yeah, film! and expensive... i spent $23 on four rolls of film yesterday. yikes! and i know it will only get more expensive. i have the 'materials needed' list and saw that i will be easily spending a few hundred dollars. oh well, i have a refund due to me (gotta love grants).

my fourth class is an art criticism class. it's more of learning how to critique the art and how to do that in a classroom setting (most of the students are getting their teaching license in art). i chose this class because i did a paper on art critics last semester and i was intrigued. well, so far the class has not disappointed. it's a fun class and my professor is big on class discussions. i will have readings and have to write responses to them as well as to gallery viewings that we will be going to. here's the kicker: the abstract has to be 50 words exactly, the response has to be 50 words exactly, and the other section can be as long as i want. it's harder than i thought... but it's a challenge i will embrace.

one week down and 14 to go

No comments: