Saturday, September 22, 2012

the madness continues

so my physics class is gonna send me to the loony bin. i still have only four problems left of my first homework assignment, but i also started on the next homework assignment. force and friction are gonna be the death of me. you would think that those topics would be easy.... according to my lack of being able to answer the problems right.... NOPE! i have 99 tries for each problem, for two of them i'm at try 6. at least the lab part is going better. we have the proper programs and drivers on the computers, so now the computer can talk to the arduino (little robot). have i mentioned the my professor looks like jerry garcia.... i mentioned it once to a friend, and now i keep wanting to call him professor garcia instead of giovanetti.

oh photography... how do i love thee?! let me count the ways.... $23 here, $86 there, another $45 here... yes, this is one expensive class. it wouldn't be so bad if my tuition refund would come so i can buy in bulk at a cheaper discount site than from the 'cheap' store in the 'burg. but i am having fun. so much that i skipped my last class on monday to finish printing my pictures (we had a sub that day and i had turned my assignment in early). so monday we learned how to enlarge, print, our pictures. a lot of paper can be wasted if the light isn't right or if the print needs to be 'dodged or burned' (lighten or darken). my waste was in the test strips to get my prints right. the first batch of prints i didn't do anything to them. but when i was in the lab today, i burned my photo a little so the white area wasn't so white. i only printed one picture, i have to have my professor check my contact sheets to see what others would be worth printing.

my baby! this camera was my dad's. i remember it always around his neck when we were on a family outing. now it's mine, and i love it. i got the camera bag at walmart as an early birthday present to me... it is so much better than what my dad was using.
 turning the film into negatives is a short, but smelly, process. it takes me about half an hour, including going into a pitch black room to roll the film onto reels and then put in the development tanks. once in the negative sheets, i make a contact sheet (on the right), a nice way to "print" my pictures so i don't waste paper on a bad shot.
here are 5 of the six prints i made. i have one picture of each of my babies. i swear the class will be sick of seeing my kids in every assignment. the one of aidan (top right) was what i printed today. i had one of each of the girls, so i needed one of my boy.

now, this is a picture of the picture i printed.... i didn't really feel like turning the scanner on and waiting for it to warm up. this was taken tuesday of this week, the day of the massive rain, right before we went to the bus stop.








i did have a 'close up' of the picture of sofia.... but it wasn't working right. so if ya want to see it, you'll have to wait for another post.

my criticism class is the one i skipped on monday. like i siad, a sub and my assignment was turned in early. i just got my grade for it, only one point (out of two). ANY corrections the professor makes and it's an automatic 'no points' for that section. he changed one word (critic to artist) and took my point away. i don't think he realized that i meant to say critic. oh well, nothing to fuss over. my professor was out of town this week, so there was no class wednesday. i decided to take some pictures at my parents' house since i had to go there to pick up sofia.

so it was a good week. not too much stress, not too much work. next week looks to be about the same. though i do plan on taking advantage of the homework help my physics professor is offering on wednesday.

1 comment:

alyssa said...

i love hearing about your photography class! and i love the camera you're using. that is legit.